3rd Agora November 16-25 2007
A Market for Feature Films within the Framework of the 48th THESSALONIKI INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Coordinators: Margarita Eliopoulou, Athena Georgiadou
Assistant: Eleni Varzoka
The name comes from the ancient Greek word for the marketplace, where public debate, elections and all sorts of interaction, including buying and selling, took place.
AGORA-The Thessaloniki International Film Festival Market, brings together Industry leaders: buyers and sellers, decision-makers, contenders and hopefuls from all over the world; a true celebration of film.
• To expand networking and trade opportunities between SE Europe, the Eastern Mediterranean and the international film community.
• To view and trade feature films from all sections of the Festival.
• To provide a showcase for the filmmaking of the Balkan region.
• To provide training through interaction and workshops.
• To meet and trade with experts from Greece and SE Europe.
• To discover commercial potential in Greece, the most mythical film locations in the world.
Facts and Figures of the 2nd Agora
With the participation of 451 top film professionals (producers, distributors, sales agents, Institution representatives, experts) from 45 countries, 112 of whom came to the TIFF for the first time, and more than 2.500 screenings of 257 films, the 2nd edition of the AGORA followed the success of its first edition, where 35 films from Southeastern Europe obtained distribution thanks to the AGORA.
Among the participants of the previous AGORA were: MK2, Wide Management, Tokyo Theatres, Rezo Films, Bavaria Film International, China Film Group,Tribeca Film Festival, New York Film Festival-New Directors New Films, Los Angeles Film Festival, Primer Plano, Art Films, Mongrel Media,World Film Festival Montreal, Sunrise Film Distribution, Nordisk Film Sales, Pierre Grise Distribution, Festival De La Rochelle, Berlin Film Festival, Neue Visionen, Greenlight Media, Budapest Film, Duna Television,Teodora Flm, Fourlab, Cinecitta Holding, Entermode Corp, Canana, Cinema Delicatessen, Holland Film, Action Film, Gutek Film, Mediapro Pictures, Mosfilm, RTV, Silenzio Films, Latido-Latin Beat, Novemberfilm, Triangel Film, Axiom Films, Cinefil/Jazz Flms, Edimburg Film House, Britannia Films, SBS Television, Life Size Entertainment,The Film Sales Company.
Industry Screenings: AGORA holds Industry Screenings for the majority of the international feature films included in the Festival’s official program, including a wide variety of recently completed films of 1st-2nd time directors from Greece, the entire Balkan Region, SE Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean.
Balkan Works in Progress: The special AGORA screening program gives the opportunity to film professionals to be the first to discover selected projects from the entire Balkan region, in the stage just before completion. Last year’s program presented highly recognized titles such as California Dreaming by Cristian Nemescu (Grand Prix, Un Certain Regard – Cannes 2007).
DVD Library: AGORA holds a DVD Library for the majority of the international feature films included in the Festival’s official program, a wide variety of recently completed films of 1st and 2nd time directors from the entire Balkan Region and the Eastern Mediterranean, as well as the current Greek feature film production.
Mediterranean Focus: The special AGORA screening program showcases a wide variety of recently produced feature films from the Eastern Mediterranean, aiming to promote Mediterranean filmmaking to an international audience.
AGORA runs in parallel with others of the Festival’s industry related activities, such as: the Balkan Fund-TIFF Script Development Fund, the Crossroads Co-Production Forum, the educational program Salonica Studio, conferences,workshops and masterclasses, offering many ideal networking and trade opportunities for the global film industry.
AGORA presents new trends and offers professionals involved in the programming and acquisitions sectors of the cinema and television industry an invaluable opportunity for trade related activities in an informal, hospitable, relaxed, but very professional atmosphere. Participants in the AGORA have access to all Festival related activities, public screenings, industry screenings, events and parties.
AGORA is located in the Industry Center at the Thessaloniki port, on the northern shores of the Thermaikos gulf that opens onto the Aegean Sea, and in close proximity to Chalkidiki’s beautiful beaches. The Industry Centre is next to the Festival Center and Screening Rooms, within walking distance of the city’s famous nightlife center, in one of the most traditional areas of this historic Greek city.
Facilities, Services & Tools
• The Industry Center offers well equipped Exhibition Space to sales agents, Film Institutions, producers and other professionals.
• Private screening booths for buyers, sellers, festival programers, press and other professionals.
• Business Lounge exclusively for accredited guests.
• Conference Rooms.
• Free WiFi internet connection.
• Free computers for guests.
• Information Desk.
• Industry Guest Office.
• Sales Corner:The Free Shared Exhibition Space available exclusively to Producers and Sellers.
• Deal Making Support:AGORA, as an international meeting and trading umbrella, provides marketing, promotion, networking, deal making, “matchmaking”, legal and secretarial support to all attendees for the effective completion of their business negotiations.AGORA guarantees that buyers, distributors, sales agents, producers and festival programmers from all over the globe will be fully informed about «who is who» and «who is where» during the AGORA and be able to screen the participating films.
• International Marketing Consulting:AGORA offers all the producers participating in the Official Festival’s Program with a film of Balkan and/or Greek origin without a sales agent, exclusive, a tailor-made International Marketing consultation session.
• Mingle @ Sales Meze:AGORA is organizing a series of daily thematic Sales Meze lunches for accredited guests featuring traditional Greek cooking and the relaxed atmosphere of Greek hospitality, aiming to promote informal networking and business among film producers, buyers and sellers from all over the globe.
AGORA Film Guide: The full list of films participating in the Agora is distributed to participants in the Agora bag, along with sales contact and availability information.
AGORA Sales Newsletter: Distributed to Industry Delegates, aiming to promote maximum exposure of participating films during the event.
Industry Manual: Provides a guide to the International Industry Delegates (pro- ducers, distributors, sales agents, tutors, festival programmers, experts, Institution representatives), participating in all sections of the Festival.
Greek Audiovisual Directory: The full list of Greek film professionals is distributed amongst all Agora participants.